Postpartum Mood Disorder (PPMD) Support Program
About 20% of individuals experience a perinatal mood disorder. Symptoms can range from mild to severe and can include low mood, anxiety and irritability/anger. Symptoms can begin any time during the 1st year after giving birth.
Asking for help is recommended if you are struggling with emotional symptoms and adjusting to life with a newborn. Please talk to your Family Doctor or Nurse Practitioner.
Our PPMD program supports women who are experiencing mild to moderate symptoms. For urgent mental health matters please contact Here 24/7 (1-844-437-3247), call 911 or go to your local emergency department.
What are common symptoms of a postpartum mood disorder?
- Feeling overwhelmed, sad, inadequate, anxious, irritable or angry
- Having feelings of panic
- Not being able to sleep
- Having disturbing dreams or thoughts
- Not feeling connected to your baby
- Having dark intrusive thoughts
- Not wanting to be alone with your baby
Our program offers:
- A postpartum initial appointment with a Mental Health Clinician
- Short term follow-up for women who are postpartum (1 or 2 appointments)
- Pregnancy information appointment and up to 1 follow-up appointment
- Weekly mothers’ support groups (virtual and in-person)
- A bi-monthly spouse/partner support and information night *ON HOLD*
- A bi-monthly information night for pregnant women *ON HOLD*
Who is this support program for?
The PPMD program provides support to individuals who reside in the city of Guelph or have a Family Doctor with the Guelph Family Health Team (Guelph FHT).
What are the program hours?
The PPMD support program hours are on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 9am – 4pm.
How do I book an appointment?
Our program is OPEN to new patients. Ask your Healthcare Provider for a referral to the program or self-refer by calling 519-837-4444 and press option 3.
For urgent mental health matters please contact Here 24/7 (1-844-437-3247), call 911 or go to your local emergency department.
For all other questions, please call 519-837-4444 and press option 3 for PPMD support program.
“I attended the Postpartum group… and found it a HUGE help towards my recovery and the biggest support. The hardest part about postpartum depression is feeling like you’re the only one with these feelings and thoughts… The group became the place where I could say anything without fear of judgement and got the support and learned the tools to help me get through my recovery.”
– Past participant, PPMD Support Group